From OC to NYC

My name is Angela Sabbah and I work as a substitute teacher at local Catholic schools in NYC. Before that I was a teachers aide at a Montessori school in California. In every job I did, I knew I wanted to work with children, but I always changed my mind on what I wanted to in my future. I changed my mind constantly, at first I wanted to be a nurse, then a speech pathologist, later in college, after many courses, I realized that I wanted to become a school teacher. However getting there was very difficult for me.
When I started college, I knew that I for sure wanted to be a speech and language pathologist, so I spent 4 years completing the prerequisites, soon after I got accepted into a communication disorders program in Los Angeles to complete my goal in becoming a speech pathologist.  One year into the program, I realized that becoming a speech language pathologist was not for me, so I changed my major to Urban Learning. Urban Learning is the same idea of early childhood studies, but it focuses on schools that have little to no resources and areas that are mainly bilingual. I studied this because I knew that working in Los Angeles as a school teacher, this type of major would benefit me. Little did I know that my life would be changed. I met the love of my life, two quarters before I would graduate and on top of that, he lived in NYC. Soon after we started to plan our wedding, and we decided to live in NY. Most of my credits and my bachelors in Urban Learning did not suffice in New York, I even struggled to find a job as a substitute teacher. With all the challenges that I faced, I soon realized that in order to be successful in NY, I needed to receive my masters degree, and here I am. Its my first week as a graduate student, something that I never thought I would ever be doing, but I am very thankful and feel blessed to have this opportunity. Can't wait to see what the next 2 years have in store for me!

Comments

  1. Angela I have changed my mind several times for various reasons. I was injured at work last year. A Promethean board fell on my upper body, head and back weighing over a 100 lbs. It damaged a disk in my neck. Well I was working in the classroom, but since then I have been working as admin. at the same college. I started as a pre-k assistant teacher for 7 years, assistant director for over 3 years, and now since 2014 I have been working with toddlers, well until the accident. I am proud of you, you adapted to the changes, and moved forward. I am doing the same, by working towards my master I plan to teach the future teachers, and be an advocate for children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts