three ideals that are meaningful to me




The three ideals that I chose that are significant for me in my professional life are:

P-1.3—We shall not participate in practices that discriminate against children by denying benefits, giving special advantages, or excluding them from programs or activities on the basis of their sex, race, national origin, religious beliefs, medical condition, disability, or the marital status/family structure, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs or other affiliations of their families. (Aspects of this principle do not apply in programs that have a lawful mandate to provide services to a particular population of children.)


  • This ideal is important to me because growing up, I have seen teachers who have discriminated and gave children special advantages, which I feel is wrong. Its easy to judge a student just by looking at them, but you will never know what kind of life they lead outside of the classroom and the disadvantages/advantages that they may have. For example: a teacher may give a straight A student advantages and not realize that students who have disadvantages outside of the classroom may be struggling to keep up in the classroom. 


I-2.3—To welcome all family members and encourage them to participate in the program.


  • This ideal is important to me because as an educator it is key to keep parents and guardians informed in their child's life and whats happening in the classroom so that when they go home, the parents and guardians can help and assist them in whatever extra help the student needs. Also when parents are involved in their child's academic lives, there is a higher chance of them becoming successful. 


I-2.5—To respect the dignity and preferences of each family and to make an effort to learn about its structure, culture, language, customs, and beliefs. 


  • This ideal is important to me because sometimes teachers do not realize that students are the way they are and follow certain rules because of the culture, customs an beliefs that they follow in the household; because of this teachers need to be aware of hidden rules that may apply to some students when they are outside of school, and understand, that all students come from different backgrounds and cultures. 

Comments

  1. Your ideals are each very significant in allowing a child a deserved early education. I really appreciate your point, on the first ideal, about ensuring teachers treat all children the same and do not discriminate against them. I have also seen children receive special advantages, simply because the teacher "liked" them more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela Sabbah,
    I am glad we made it to the end of this course, and I pray we make it to our Masters’. Like you I too seem to have been destined to be a teacher, it is a part of my life. I have faith that you will succeed at what you do best, teach. It is not the most prestigious career in our world, but personally I think there is no higher calling than to teach. I hope our world will one day realize how exceptional teachers are.
    Looking forward to our sharing discussion posts throughout our journey. I hope that you meet and overcome all obstacles, and that you take away all Walden offers to use as you become all you hope to be in the Early Childhood field.
    Best Regards,
    Trahlyta Crawford

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts