natural disasters and the stress it may cause



The stressor that I am blogging about today is natural disasters, I was not directly affected by one, but my uncle and his family were. My uncle and his family were affected by the 2003 wildfires in California. Not only did their house burn to down, but they're whole neighborhood did. My uncle and had 5 children that were under the ages of 14, so they were all very shocked and affected negatively by this. Because the fires were moving so fast, they were not warned to evacuate and therefore they did not take any important family pictures/documents that one would usually cherish forever. Luckily they have a big family, so we opened our house to them until they were able to find a new house. On the other hand, there are countries around the world that have natural disasters that they cannot recover from and in other countries natural disasters and poverty may be in the same category.
In 1935, Quetta, Pakistan the people there experienced one of biggest earthquakes, killing 60,000 people. The town was very seriously affected because they had no safety net, they could not get back anything that was damaged and because its a third world country they could not afford to rebuild everything that was damaged.

Poverty and Natural Disasters. (2015, October 07). Retrieved from https://famvin.org/en/2005/10/15/poverty-and-natural-disasters/

Design, A. W. (n.d.). The Quetta Earthquake Of 1935. Retrieved from http://www.hibbitt.org.uk/ellen-gardner/quetta-earthquake-1935.html

Comments

  1. It is hard to say great post on something so tragic, so I will just say it was heart breaking the wildfire that affected your family, and the tragedy in Quetta. Both disasters are hard to predict with warnings, especially in 1938, they probably had no way to notify of an earthquake, I wonder did the people ever recover, and to what degree from the earthquake, that was a lot of people. I know how it feels to lose materialistic things, I never got them back. But at least your family was able to offer shelter, comfort , love, and share photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,
    You bring such a heartwarming and touching subject to the blog this week. Thank you for bringing focus back to where it needs to be. Secondly, I applaud you and your family for being there for your uncle in his time of need. That’s what families are for Great Job!!
    I cannot even begin to imagine how life would be if we (my family) had to experience a natural disaster. I remember last year when we had a hurricane that came through our state. We were okay we were just without lights for 4 days. I almost lost it as I felt like I could not provide for my children a simple meal or just cool air. My husband was away working and I felt all alone. I can just imagine the feeling in which I had back then was only the tip of the iceberg for your uncles’ situation. The recovery process here in the United States or for our states is one that we all should be grateful for. As you stated, other places are just left in ruins.

    Thanks for sharing this week
    -Tanesha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts