Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions



This situation happened to me last year, and it is a microagression, this example was also used in the Laureate (2011) video. Dr. Sue mentioned that after one of his speeches, a woman came up to him and asked him where he was from because he spoke perfect English. The woman could not believe that he was born and raised in the states. I feel that this has happened to me in the past, as me having the power and the other person being marginalized. I was in a shuttle with someone who was from Asia, but for the whole ride home from the airport, there was no talking. As the person was leaving the shuttle, they started speaking in English to the driver. I was shocked, I thought for sure this person was from Asia and just visiting, I could not believe they spoke perfect English. Afterwards, I began to think to myself, why did I judge that person in that way without thinking twice and I could not explain it. Now from this lesson, I have learned that this is microaggression. This weeks lesson of microaggression, has helped me to understand that almost everyone has microaggression or has been in uncomfortable situations because of a persons lack of knowledge of their culture.

Comments

Popular Posts