Personal Conflict Resolution


I work as a preschool teacher at a Montessori based school, and I love it. Although I enjoy working in this setting, I am always approached by my colleagues about my ethnicity, and constantly judged due to the lack of knowledge they have about my ethnicity and culture. Due to this type of judgment, I sometimes feel uncomfortable in my workplace. One strategy that I may use is escapist style. In avoiding conversations about my ethnicity, I could “escape” the situation, but overall, that would be avoiding the real situation. I could also collaborate with my coworkers, and inform them on my ethnicity and how I feel about being judged, so that this may not happen again. In doing so, they become more informed and understand that what they are doing is hurtful. This would be a win-win situation. Practicing the three R’s could definitely help in this situation. Being respectful and responsive to such a situation such as mine could be beneficial to both sides of the situation.
What would you do in my situation?



Comments

  1. I think the second strategy can work better when you are experiencing this microaggressions. You can respectfully belie them, and provide them accurate information about your ethnicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela. I think that whenever you have free time, you should ask everyone do they want to know about you and your culture and just inform them about it. Also, people makes a lot assumptions before actual getting to know what's going on and that's how things get started. But I think you should have a nice conversation with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts