Creating Art


The type of art that I chose to create was a photo collage. I chose these four pictures carefully to depict what I learned throughout this course. First, I learned that educators and adults impact children the most and they must be positive forms of nurture. I also learned that this may happen, but children still learn bias from observing adults and others. The second photo I chose is a bunch of hands in different colors. The reason I chose this photo was to show that we are all different, but can strive for a positive change. The third photo I chose was a head and it is kind of gradually falling apart. The reason I chose this is to show that as educators, if we do not teach children how to not be bias or not acknowledge bad behaviors, they do not grow and slowly become ignorant of the positive changes they can be making in their lives. The last picture I chose of children reading books shows that children not only learn from the people around them, but also from the things they watch and the books they read. It is important for children to find contemporary books that avoid bias and show equal opportunity for everyone. For example, not only boy can be a pilot/ doctor, or only a girl can be a teacher.

http://litkidz.com/books/contemporary

https://www.getepic.com/

Comments

  1. Hello Angela,

    I enjoyed reading your blog and reviewing the photograph collage you posted for your artwork. I loved the photo of the multi colored hands that was reaching up. I interpreted that photo as a diverse group of students collaborating together while reaching for the stars. I agree with your thinking in regards to children learning bias thoughts from the adults who are around them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela,
    Great post! "Young children need caring adults to help them construct a positive sense of self and a respectful understanding of others. They need adults to navigate and resist the harmful impact of prejudice and discrimination" (Derman-Sparks, 2010, 11).
    Reference
    Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts