Evaluating impacts on professional practice


Three years ago, I worked as a teachers aid in a small Montessori preschool. Everyone who worked there was white, American, and were related. I am Middle Eastern-American, but feel that I fit in everywhere. Due to the lack of knowledge, I was judged a lot by coworkers and the families at the school by stereotypes that they heard of. I happened to get engaged to my now husband, and when I announced it to the people I worked with, one person said, “have you met him yet? “. To me this was shocking and also insulting. I could not even sort out my feelings and thoughts. A month later, I left that job to continue my education and told myself that I would never work with a group of people like that again. As time went by, and with the knowledge and information that I have gained from my courses in this masters program, I understand that bias can be worked on and education can help one to overcome and work through “-isms”. I also came to the realization that, just like my coworkers had biases and stereotypes against others, I as well had the same thing. With taking the time to learn about and understand the different “-isms”, I can now anti-bias and create a classroom environment that is also anti-bias.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela,

    It is evident that the staff members in which you encountered and have to work with had never been exposed to diverse people. When people lack knowledge about other they tend to make assumptions. In this case the individuals made discriminatory assumptions against you. Through our text I have learned that "ensuring that every family feels welcomed and comfortable creates a crucial foundation for mutually respectful relationships"(Derman- Sparks & Edwards, 2010 p.37)

    I believe in addition to students and families feeling welcomed at learning institutions, it is important that all staff feel respected and welcomed as well. I have noticed creating a supportive environment for both staff and students increases student achievement.

    Reference

    Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts