The Sexualization of Early Childhood



It was shocking for me to read the examples provided in the So Sexy So Soon excerpt. Being that I work with mostly preschoolers, it is hard for me to understand how they change so fast and in not such a positive way. Sexualization of early childhood is disturbing, but it is the world we live in and as educators, we need to find a way to limit the sexual ideas that they view. If as educators we keep a close eye on our children and limit their social media, we are taking a step in helping the parents feel more at ease. As a mother myself, I am worried that my daughter will feel that she needs to be sexualized. I hope that by the time she goes to school, I am more knowledgeable in the topic and can help her feel strong so that she doesn’t need to be pressured into looking like the standard girl.
An example from my personal experience was growing up; I always wanted to be skinny and blonde. As I grew and became more educated, I learned to love myself as I was and now do not wish to be the standard look that everyone wants to be. This is why I can relate to young girls who are influenced by the standard and sexualization. A second example: last year, a preschooler was singing a popular song about stripping while she was in the bathroom. When she walked outside, I asked her why she was singing that song and why she knew the song. She began to tell me, innocently, that her father listens to that song all the time and she began singing it again. She had no idea the meaning behind the lyrics, but these are small starting points of sexualization. The third example is media and television. I watch Disney junior and Disney channel with my daughter all the time, and notice that in the commercials they are very sexist. Girl dolls are beautiful, thin, and fit the standard of modern beauty.
Sexualization may have negative impacts on a child’s healthy development. My reasoning behind this is because instead of a child focusing on play and acting their age, they are expected to act older and more mature, which leads them fit into standards that they shouldn’t even be thinking about.




Comments

  1. Angela,
    My reaction to the article this week is that I am in shock and awe. The advertisement market is forced on children. They have no knowledge of what to think when it comes to choosing what is right. The advertisements sends false messages. Which are not good for their social emotional development. As educators we have to obtain ways to help parents with the competition of media influences.

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Evelyn,

    When reflecting on the topic this week and reading the article I was taking back by the amount of harm that is occurring towards children's development due to the messages of overly sexual messages that the are receiving from many sources. You shared your experience listening to a young child singing a song dealing with exotic dancing. I am not surprised by your experience because the radio stations and television is fill with sexual content that they refuse to filter. Many media outlet are unaware of the harm that they are doing to young children. As a parent I personally do not allow my children to listen the radio because I the overly sexual music played.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts